9 Types of Food You SHOULDN'T Feed Your Dog

Does your dog like to eat your leftovers? Have you noticed that your dog hasn’t been digesting its food well? Are you afraid to feed your dog human food if it is poisonous for your dog to ingest? Well, have no fear, there are many foods that your dog can eat, but there are some foods and ingredients you should look out for when feeding your dog human food. Some foods can cause health issues if ingested, while others can be poisonous or lethal. It is an easy mistake to believe that a slice of avocado wouldn’t hurt, but it turns out you really shouldn’t be feeding your dog avocados in the first place. It’s important to keep floors and surfaces clean to avoid any accidents and trips to the Vet. Just because some foods are harmful to dogs to ingest doesn’t mean you can’t feed them human food. Be aware of what foods your dogs shouldn’t consume. If you’re still wondering whether or not your dog should be eating certain foods or have any further questions, contact your veterinarian for details. 

 

  • Alcohol: There is no means to be feeding alcohol to your dog. Accidents do happen, such as alcohol spilled on the floor of your home or brewery. But to prevent such accidents, as a responsible dog owner, you should clean it up immediately. Some liquors are clear and look similar to water, so ensure no residue is left over. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals warns of signs of alcohol poisoning in dogs include: “vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma, and even death.” If your dog is around while you’re enjoying a few drinks, make sure they have a nice bowl of water they can drink from so they can join you with drinks without the possibility of an accident.
  • Avocados: As mentioned before, avocados are not a safe food for dogs to ingest. It has “persin,” a fungicidal acid that avocados, their trees, bark, and leaves. According to Amy Flowers, DVM for Fetch by WebMD, she mentions that ingesting avocados can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Be aware of where your avocado seeds are disposed of correctly because accidental ingestion can cause the seed to “become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.”
  • Caffeinated Beverages (Tea, Coffee, Soda, etc.): Similarly to alcohol, there’s no reason for your dog to be getting a cappuccino. Caffeinated beverages can be deadly for dogs to ingest. Flowers also elaborated that caffeine is in many cold medicines and pain killers. Take your dog to the Vet immediately if they have consumed caffeine. If you love to have your coffee and want to get your dog something, many coffee shops offer treats and sometimes have water bowls at the door for dogs passing by or visiting. Most places are more than happy to bring water to your dog if you ask. 
  • Chocolate: Chocolate is a delectable treat for most people, but you should never feed your dog chocolate. The ASPCA warns dog owners that chocolate contains methylxanthines. Methylxanthines can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, abnormal heartbeat, tremors, seizures, excessive urination, and death.”
  • Dairy Products: Dogs are lactose intolerant, but their degrees vary depending on your dog, according to Anna Burke of the American Kennel Club. Dogs have trouble digesting dairy/milk products. Some signs that may indicate that they have ingested dairy include loose stools, gas, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
  • Grapes/Raisins: Fruits easily seem like a great option to share with your pets, but grapes and raisins are not the ones to be sharing with your dog. It can cause kidney failure in dogs and make your dog ill. Flowers notes the potential signs of ingestion include excessive vomiting, sluggish and depressed behavior.
  • Macadamia Nuts: Dogs should not consume macadamia nuts due to how they can make your dog sick. No matter how macadamia nuts are prepared, it is best to know if any nuts have fallen on the floor or cross-contaminated with other food that your dog might lick off the floor. Flowers notes that signs of illness include: muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in their back legs.
  • Onions/Chives/Garlic: In any form, onions, chives, and garlic can cause anemia, and if your dog eats too much of either onion, chives, or garlic, it can lead to poisoning.
  • Xylitol: Xylitol is a sugar substitute that can be found in gums and candies. Mara Ratnofsky, DVM of MSPCA-Angell, elaborates that ingestion can cause low blood sugar, blood clotting, vomiting, seizures, coma, poor coordination, and liver failure.

If you believe your dog has become sick, experiencing concerning symptoms, consumed something poisonous, contact your Vet’s ER immediately or contact the ASPCA Poison Control for help and information.

 

Older Post
Newer Post

Leave a comment

Close (esc)

Popup

Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.

Search

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now